|Countries invited||Angola, Benin, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mauritania, Namibia, Nigeria, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, The Gambia, Togo|
|Length in Minutes (approx)||75|
GI WACAF webinar series on oil spill preparedness and response continues with a third episode dedicated to the use of dispersants in case of an oil spill in the marine environment. For this webinar, leading international experts from OSRL, OSEC Shell and the Department of Environmental Affairs of South Africa will share their experience through case studies, and present the conditions of use of dispersants, their role in the event of an oil spill, as well as the importance of including a dedicated policy in the National Oil Spill Contingency Plan (NOSCP).
At the end of this 75-minute webinar, participants should be able to:
- Understand the mechanism of dispersion, the necessary conditions (sea, weather and oil characteristics, environmental considerations and reactions with other response techniques) and the application methods;
- Get an overview of the use and limitations of dispersants, as one of a range of available options in case of a marine oil spill; and
- Understand the importance of a clear policy regarding the use of dispersants.
Did you miss it? Watch the replay below or on our Youtube channel !
Download all webinar-related documents:
- Webinar programme
- Presentation on the GI WACAF Project (GI WACAF)
- Presentation on what are the dispersants and how to use them (OSRL)
- OSRL video on dispersants: https://vimeo.com/402102762
- Presentation on an example of the good use of dispersants as part of oil spill response (Shell)
- Presentation on a case study of the South African dispersant policy (National Department of Environmental Affairs, South Africa)
- GI WACAF concept note
- IPIECA IOGP guidance document on dispersants subsea application
- IPIECA IOGP guidance document on dispersants surface application
- IPIECA IOGP guidance document on response stratety development using NEBA
- ITOPF Technical Information Paper 4 on the use of dispersants